Monday 2 November 2009

Anne Sexton's fairy tales (A1 collages, acrylic, photocopy, coffee, oil, ink)

Project based on Anne Sexton's poems.
The underbelly of fairy tales.


these are research images, sort of like sketchbook work just a2 and loose.


The Twelve dancing princesses



the frog prince


rapunzel


red ridding hood


these are the final images


Rapunzel:
"Many a girl
had an old aunt
who locked her in the study
to keep the boys away.
They would play rummy
or lie on the couch
and touch and touch.
Old breast against young breast... "



The Frog Prince

"Next came the bed.
The silky royal bed.
Ah! The penultimate hour!
There was the pillow
with the princess breathing
and there was the sinuous frog
riding up and down beside her."


Briar Rose (sleeping beauty)
"There was a theft.
That much I am told.
I was abandoned.
That much I know.
I was forced backward.
I was forced forward.
I was passed hand to hand
like a bowl of fruit.
Each night I am nailed into place
and forget who I am.
Daddy?
That's another kind of prison.
It's not the prince at all,
but my father
drunkeningly bends over my bed,
circling the abyss like a shark,
my father thick upon me
like some sleeping jellyfish.
What voyage is this, little girl?"



Twelve Dancing Princesses
"Next came the ball where the shoes did duty.
The princesses danced like taxi girls at Roseland
as if those tickets would run right out.
They were painted in kisses with their secret hair
and though the soldier drank from their cups
they drank down their youth with nary a thought."

These are illustrations for Anne Sexton's twisted fairy tales poems.





1 comment: